"It's been a thrilling year," I think is in every year's review. It's still true with us. Alone through the growth of our team and our platform. This contribution is a thank you to our customers and employees. And to all those who want to become one.
RAIDBOXES grows - and becomes more diverse
The demand for our Managed hosting for WordPress and WooCommerceis increasing significantly. Over 7,000 customers now trust in the leading WordPress Hosting in German-speaking countries, we notice this in all areas. And with it the team grows from RAIDBOXES twice the size.
What in 2014 with three people as a start-up began in Münsterthat's all grown up now. We are still young, unconventional and dynamic. And we attach great importance to that as well. The cornerstones of our colourful teams:
- RAIDBOXES is more diverse than ever: six of the 20 colleagues are female. That doesn't mean we're anywhere near where we want to be. But for IT and also WordPress for the IT department, this is a very good ratio. Our managing directors and the team have expressly worked towards this, although it was anything but easy.
- More customers also bring more tasks: And this despite new employees. RAIDBOXES deals with this well because we rely on the management model of Holacracy sit. This means flat hierarchies, independent work and satisfied faces. Because everyone can fully contribute with their individual strengths.
- Strong brand: A Capital increase helps us to further expand our market position as the leader WordPress hoster in the DACH region. This is also the only way to expand into other European countries.
- Distributed working: In the meantime, there is not only the location Muenster, but also home offices in Hamburg, Magdeburg and Freiburg via remote colleagues.
RAIDBOXES is one of the few companies that support remote work. Even in the WordPress scene this is not yet taken for granted everywhere. See our blog post on the Advantages & Disadvantages for employees and companies.
The eleven new faces in 2019:
- Ariane is responsible for the administration and happy management responsible
- Auke actively supports the system administration
- Marcel builds up sales together with Neele
- And another Marcel, he and his colleagues take care of product development
- Milva and Frauke provide top support
- Me (Michael) and Annie conjure up content for marketing
- Sebastian and Jesus strengthen the development team
RAIDBOXES continues to grow. You want to help to realize the best hosting platform for WordPress worldwide? Then become now Part of the RAIDBOXES -Team.
Sustainability @ RAIDBOXES
Along with growth, sustainability is our most important topic in 2019, because we want to make our positive development as climate-friendly as possible. #GreenHosting has been a matter of the heart for us RAIDBOXES from the very beginning. Not for nothing we are the first climate-positive WordPress host in Europe, probably even worldwide.
When you run a website or an online shop, you consume a lot of resources. We'll steer into it for you. This year we have once again significantly increased our commitment - also thanks to our customers:
- For each WordPress site or any WooCommerceshop you rehost with us, we plant a tree for you. In 2019 alone, we will donate over 29,000 trees!
- Our Christmas campaign: For every new BOXtree added in December, we finance 10 trees instead of one.
- At WordCamp Europe in Berlin all participants of the camp could set an example at our stand and hand in a card for climate protection. Our promise there: For every voice received, we will plant an additional tree. But also for each participant. In the end, 3000 new trees came together.
- RAIDBOXES uses 100 percent hydroelectric power for hosting and the office. We are aware that not all green electricity is the same. That is why we pay attention to the following with our energy partners strict framework.
- In addition to compensating for green hosting, we are gradually implementing a corporate philosophy that focuses on sustainability in all areas. You can find more about this in our article Green hosting for WordPress.
We'll continue to work on fulfilling our social responsibility. And we hope that the models mentioned will inspire others to take action too.
Of course, we also ask ourselves when ecological approaches of companies are authentic: Is there even a sustainable Internet? How "green" can WordPress actually be? In the text WordPress and sustainability offers an up-to-date discussion of the issues within the WordPress community.
Note: You have an initiative or an idea how to make it more WordPress sustainable? Then come be happy to come up to us or get in the comments. We will report about it, or maybe even sponsor your idea.
The mission of RAIDBOXES
What contribution can our company make to the common good? And what is our vision? Dealing with this issue is also part of sustainability. Our team used several Workshopsin order to develop a suitable corporate vision for RAIDBOXES. The results are among others:
- Turnover - as a symbol for an economic key figure - is particularly important for investors, employees, founders and suppliers. But they also create the basis and the necessary security to be able to act sustainably.
- Our mission is primarily focused on the customer. It provides that we provide freelancers, WP professionals and agencies with hosting further freedom ...to get you the money. And give you time for the really relevant things.
- The article Advantages of Managed WordPress hosting shows how we support you in a very concrete way. Read in particular the sections on time saving, cost reduction and scalability.
- All RAIDBOXES employees can use this mission as an argument when it comes to defining their role (see "Holacracy" above).
Regular team events are RAIDBOXES also part of the program. This helps us to think outside the box. And it welds us together. This is especially helpful for new employees.
We live the slogan "Creating more freedom" every day. A small example: We had an internal discussion about the procedure for PHP updates for WordPress . Is it the responsibility of each customer to carry this out? And is he obliged to do so? This would definitely be the easier solution for us and our support.
Taking into account our mission, we finally developed a checking mechanism for PHP updates. After an auto-update, it automatically tests whether the result is identical to the starting point before the update. Otherwise, it plays back the old version. At the same time, every customer is given the freedom to keep his old PHP version in case of problems.
We are also creating more freedom for ourselves - and a better culture of discussion in the team. among other things, we RAIDBOXES sponsor courses on non-violent communication (GfK) for its employees:
Trainer Marianne Oshege comes to our office regularly to give us an understanding of the model. Through non-violent communication we learn how conflicts among each other can be recognized faster and more attentively. And how we better break it down.
Heroes in support
Our fabulous support team makes you happy every day. In chat, on the phone, at WordCamps, in social networks and at Trusted Shops we regularly hear how unique our support is. Besides our technical features for WordPress this is what distinguishes us from other web hosters.
At Trusted Shops we are currently coming up with 4.92 of 5 stars. But even more important is what our customers write there:
Jan, Milva, Frauke, Jeffrey, Tino, Johannesand other colleagues will answer you within minutes. And not within hours or even days:
- In your language, during your working hours.
- From Germany
- On multiple channels
- Without anonymous call center
With us, you're dealing with "real" WordPress -Experts to do. I emphasize the "real" because it is unfortunately not a matter of course on the hosting market. At Live Chat you can reach us every day from 8 to 10. Also at weekends and on public holidays.
Our support is so well received that some people can't wait to get in touch with it 😉 - we are of course particularly pleased about that:
The RAIDBOXES Blog
This year we have our WordPress -magazine OUT OF THE BOX strongly expanded. High-quality blogs with a clear thematic focus are the perfect instrument for acquiring new customers. But also to provide existing customers with important information. This is reflected in the success figures of OUT OF THE BOX. Alone the corresponding newsletter currently has over 3000 loyal subscribers.
In our blog we now cover all important topics aroundWordPress . This is ensured by our new Content strategywith which we can reach our readers even more precisely. The cornerstones that have been added in 2019
- Team of authors: We work significantly more with guest authors and expert interviews. This allows us to cover additional topics for which we do not have 100 percent expertise. Or for which there are no free capacities in the team.
- Diversity: The diversity of content and our Keywordswhich we cover at Google, this loosens up considerably.
- More resources: With me and Annie the content team additionally enhanced. Among other things, this enables us to do more Articles about WooCommerce as well as new E-books realize.
- Editorial planning: We have been relying on an editorial plan for some time now. Our Content Manager Leefke has once again significantly intensified the associated process, for example with a fixed topic rotation.
- Variety: In this way we ensure that no category is missed out. And that our keywords are played according to a predefined weighting.
- target groups: In the future we will focus more strongly on the target groups of WordPress agencies, freelancers and WordPress professionals. Among others with our new categories Agencies & Freelancers and Online Marketing.
As part of our strategy, we were able to win several well-known authors for the blog. About Jan Tissler, Daniela Sprung, Torsten Landsiedel, Sven Scheuerle , Dominik Stein. This creates WordPress additional awareness and reach.
Note: Corporate blogs are also exciting for your business? You have questions about our content strategy or our experience with it? Then please use the comment section below.
At the beginning of 2020, our WordPress magazine will be significantly expanded once again, with a completely new design and more focus on our core topics. Let us surprise you and subscribe our newsletterto keep up with the latest news.
We have evaluated the most popular articles in 2019, according to the number of hits. The result is also exciting for us and in part quite surprising:
- Becoming a Digital Nomad: The personal story of our client Michael Hörnlimann was by far the most read. In it he reports on the advantages and hurdles of working independently of location.
- Web design trends 2019: deliberate asymmetry, illustrations, collages or "brutalism" style? Our customers want to keep their websites up to date.
- WordPress hosting comparisonWho is ahead of the pack when it comes to WordPress performance? And why? A much-discussed topic even among professionals, and therefore particularly popular.
- Borlabs Cookie - GDPR for WordPressThe implementation of the GDPR is still an annoying topic for WordPress admins. We demonstrated a particularly comprehensive solution with Borlabs Cookie.
- Avada-Theme for WordPressSome love it, some hate it – Avada. This article will show you what this well-selling WordPress theme is best used for. And what it can't do.
- advantages and disadvantages of WooCommerceOur new Blog series about WooCommerce started successfully. Basic knowledge was particularly in demand - only slowly increasing Freelancers and agencies in the German-speaking market.
- Gutenberg vs. WordPress page builder: Gutenberg and PageBuilder are also two "hot irons" in the WordPress community. That explains the lively interest.
- Quick Fixes - EU Value Added Tax Reform: The innovations in the EU are not only relevant for large platforms or online shops.
- Tips for the Cookie BannerHow do you implement the cookie banners so that they actually comply with applicable law? There's a difference of opinion about that. We bring light into the jungle.
- Curse or blessing? page builderPageBuilder, take two. Pascal Prohl lights up for youElementor , Visual Composer and Co.
Contents on controversial topics are not only shared more often, they also spark a lively discussion. Just like Michael's post on Twitter:
The most commented (on the blog and social networks) in the last 12 months were the following texts:
- digital nomadAlso in the comments the experience report was from Michael Hörnlimann on place one. Unfortunately less on the blog, but more on Twitter and Facebook.
- Borlabs CookieHow do you set up the tool in concrete terms? This question caused a lot of feedback. Thanks to Ben from Borlabs, who is here to answer your questions.
- Conversion Killer PrivacyPrivacy regulations smash up our conversion tracking. But that does not mean in any way that we do not take the issue seriously. Nevertheless, this article was critically reviewed, which is exactly what the comment function is for.
- Multilingual WordPress with WPMLWPML is powerful, but not easy to set up. Therefore, the article of our founder Torben received a lot of feedback.
- Green hosting for WordPress: How sustainable can web hosting be? And what are the limits? These questions occupy us especially, as pioneers in the field of climate-positive web hosting. It's nice that our readers follow up in an equally differentiated way.
You have questions about WordPress , WordPress Hosting, WooCommerceand online marketing? We are always happy to receive your comments - and we always answer comprehensively.
Tip: Ideally ask questions directly in the blog posts. This way other visitors will be able to read the answer as long as the post is online. Each interesting blog comment adds value to your WordPress, and not to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & Co.
The partner program of RAIDBOXES
We owe our growth to our customers, but also to our many partners. In the future we want to invest even more in this area. And you can be there. The following options are available:
- Become one of our FREE DEV partners and host your projects for free with us now. For every new customer you receive up to €1.500 commission. More than 800 agencies and WP professionals already use this option.
- Do you run a portal yourself, are you a blogger or do you publish on any other channel? Then look at our classic affiliate program (affiliate) for WordPress- and WooCommerce hosting. Here, too, you will earn commissions far above the industry average.
- We are currently looking specifically for cooperation partners: We will include you in our attractive network around WordPress and WooCommercein. Among the first cooperation partners are for example the Händlerbund, Weglot , TemplateMonster.
- Content partnership: We are not only looking for Guest authors from the WordPress -scene. Also with your blog or magazine around WordPress & WooCommercewe like to exchange ideas.
You have questions about the individual models? Or further ideas for cooperation with us? Then contact us gladly, or use the comment function here as well.
Product features and improvements in 2019
We regularly receive very good feedback on our functions for the Managed WordPress hosting. You have any idea how we can get even better? Submit suggestions for improvement at any time, using the Feedback forum on your - RAIDBOXES dashboard. You can also view and vote on the ideas of other users.
Here is a list of the most important features that we have implemented in 2019 With the help of the RAIDBOXES -Community:
Until 2018, we did not offer e-mail, due to our specialization in pure WordPress Hosting. But also here the community has convinced us. In cooperation with our partner mailbox.org we now offer you a secure email communication from anywhere. Our mailboxes are GDPR-conform, hosted in Germany, free of advertising and climate-neutral.
Features such as encrypted mail transfer (optionally via PGP), anonymous mail headers, virus and spam protection, blacklisting, redundant storage and webmail ensure that you always have full control over your mailboxes.
RAIDBOXES login protector
By far the most common type of attack on WordPress sites are Brute Force attacks or unauthorized login attempts. The RB Login Protector stops the harmful attacks. It uses a known mechanism and improves it: Limit Login Attempts. So you don't need an additional Plugin one.
You can set exactly how many failed attempts are allowed before an IP is blocked. And how long blocked IPs should be blocked. In addition to the blocking rules, a whitelist can also be defined. IP addresses that are on this list are not excluded.
With WPML-Multidomain you can now assign a separate domain to each language of your website. With the settings you can turn your BOXES into Multidomain BOXES. This makes it even easier to implement multilingual projects:
You plan to translate your site with WPML in the future? Then look at our article Multilingual WordPress on. It shows you how to use WPML to internationalize yourssite . And which settings are useful.
Many users wanted to have WordPress multisites on our BOXES. The work on the feature was complex, after all, multisites should be easy to set up RAIDBOXES with just a few clicks - fully automated and including multisite domain mapping.
Note: The new multisite features are available in an open beta. You can take them gladly test.
Advanced WordPress -Templates
The WordPress templates of RAIDBOXES are a very practical feature. It saves you the effort of managing and developing projects plenty of time. Our customers can now create up to 35 templates for WordPress and WooCommerce. Previously there was a maximum of 10.
With the templates, your favoritePluginsThemes and favorite settings are always preconfigured and ready to use when you start a new project. Use them sites to create clones that are similar in content. For example, one template for customers from branch A, and one for branch B. This way you don't have to start the configuration again and again from scratch.
In the first version of the Status overview of our BOXES you can read the load of the CPU as well as the RAM. More information will be added soon, such as detailed log files. This simplifies your monitoring. In addition, you can then react even better to large visitor loads.
The server side NGINX caching of RAIDBOXES becomes active before WordPress the command takes over. This allows us to deliver your web pages extremely fast. The advantage: You do not need separate cachingPlugin anymore. However, for some sites exceptions you have to set up. For example WooCommerceotherwise the shopping cart may not function correctly.
You can now use the settings of yourBOX pinpointwhich parts of your website are to be cached and which are not. For the most common use cases we set standard defaults. They can be adjusted at any time if required. You can create as many rules as you like via the caching settings of your BOX website.
In the coming year you can look forward to a number of innovations that will take even more work off your hands. And which make your web pages even more powerful. Among other things these are:
Content Delivery Network (CDN)
Due to the GDPR and WordPress 5.0 the introduction of CDN has unfortunately been postponed once again. Now it is planned for the next months. A Content Delivery Network is a network of servers strategically distributed across multiple locations worldwide.
With this you can Performance of your websites additionally optimize: The geographical proximity of the end user to the CDN nodes reduces the latency between client and server. This is especially important if a part of your target group is located very far away. Due to its distributed structure, a CDN also guarantees optimal data throughput, even with large load peaks.
Our status overview is far from being at its limit. We are already tinkering with new functions. About closed:
- Cache Usage
- Breakdown of your files within the WP installation
- Speed analysis of your site
- Response code listing
and much more. In doing so, we focus on functions that provide maximum support for your agency's everyday life or for the work on your website.
The other features are also very impressive. They save you even more time and money when hosting, developing and managing your WordPress projects:
- New infrastructure: We are working behind the scenes on a new technical infrastructure. With even more speed and more flexible development environments.
- Advanced features make your online store more productiveWooCommerce. For example, on the popular topic Caching for WooCommerce.
- Performance: Online, every millisecond counts. We'll get you some more. Among other things with server-controlled CSS/JS and automatic image miniaturization.
- Safety features: We protect you already effective against hacker attacks. But we always want to get better. This includes automated WordPress salts or SALT keys, for example.
- Improvements for agencies: The collaboration of several employees is further optimized by more efficient team management in the dashboard.
We have created a platform that is as easy to use as possible. Create new WordPress projects in the RAIDBOXES dashboard withing seconds and benefit from our handy dev tools. As a freelancer or agency you can simply transfer finished projects to your clients. Maximizing your productivity and freedom has always been our first priority.
WordCamps 2019 and 2020
RAIDBOXES regularly sponsors WordCamps in Europe and Europe. This is one of our contributions to the community. WordCamps are meetings of the users of WordPress and WooCommerce. There are lectures, workshops, discussions and question-answer-rounds on various topics related to the CMS. Usually a WordCamp lasts one or two days. It is planned and carried out by a volunteer organization team.
Technical topics play just as much a role as agency work or the marketing of blogs & co. The most important thing there is the mutual exchange of information: There is no other place where you can find so many competent peopleWordPress . You want to network as well? Here are a few event tips for 2020.
This year we supported the following WordCamps financially, partly also organizationally. For most of them we were on site with a stand:
- WordCamp Osnabrück in March. Leefke and Johanneswere part of the core orga team. You can find their exciting insights into the community work in the Recap to Osnabrück .
- WordCamp Vienna in April.
- In June, the Europe-wide WordCamp Europe in Berlin brought exciting insights into the future of WordPress . The "new" editor Gutenberg will clean up many old concepts - freelancers and agencies must adapt to this. With over 2700 participants, the event was not only one of the largest WordCamps in Europe, but also one of the largest in the world.
- The WordCamp Zurich and WordCamp Nijmegen in September. Both communities - Switzerland and the Netherlands - have become even more dear to us.
- In September we sponsored the Press4Word Conference in Israel and the WordPress Meetup Day in Potsdam.
- Also the WordCamp Stuttgart and that WordCamp Düsseldorf in November. The event in Stuttgart was a pioneer in "green" camp, with a sustainable and diverse agenda.
You want to meet us in person next year? Up to now the following WordCamps have already been fixed, in which we participate:
- Meet us in Austria at the WordCamp Viennaon February 15th and 16th.
- Or in Belgium: The WordCamp Antwerp/Antwerp will take place from 27 to 29 March.
- WordCamp Retreat SoltauFrom 30 April to 3 May 2020, an exceptional camp in the heart of the countryside - WordCamp, events, leisure activities, access to the community, meals and accommodation all in one.
- WordCamp Europe 2020 in Porto: Bem-vindo in Portugal! From 4 to 6 June we will be there. Networking and talking shop with WordPress fans from all over the world.
We will inform you about further WordCamps here in our blog or about our newsletter. You will also meet the RAIDBOXES staff of at events like the CloudFest in Rust near Freiburg, the Online Marketing Rock Stars Festival (OMR) in Hamburg or the DMEXCO in Cologne.
Without you, our growth would not have been possible. No matter if you are a customer, partner, employee, or if you just read our blog. The team of RAIDBOXES wishes you a peaceful Christmas and a good start into the new year. See you soon!
You have questions about RAIDBOXES, our mission or our features? We would appreciate your comment. You want to be informed about new blog posts on WordPress and WooCommerce? Then follow us on Twitter, Facebook , or subscribe to our newsletter.