Zuletzt aktualisiert am
Everyone is talking about climate protection. If you run a website or an online shop, you consume a lot of resources. With our climate-friendly hosting for WordPress & WooCommerce we want to take countermeasures. This article is about the opportunities and limitations of ecological web hosting.
“If the Internet was a country, it would have the sixth largest electricity consumption on our planet” – that’s how a ZDF documentary (German) describes the scale of the issue at hand. There are various studies on how high the electricity demand actually is. One thing is clear: web hosting consumes energy – and causes considerable CO2 emissions.
Does a faster web lead to more waste?
This doesn’t just apply to the servers on which your WordPress or WooCommerce project is located. The infrastructure of a data center also requires a lot of resources, due to air conditioning and administration to the emergency power generator. As a hosting and software provider, we for example need power for:
- technical infrastructure
- office and cleaning equipment
- office supplies and marketing
Not to mention that the path of your information through the Internet also costs energy. And if you understandably want to offer your customers a particularly fast website, you probably use high-performance web hosting that consumes more energy.
So it is all the more important that you optimize your website and your shop well. This is your personal contribution to climate protection. You can read more about this in our e-book about website speed tests.
Climate neutral? Climate positive!
Green hosting cannot make the required energy obsolete. But it can compensate. In principle, there are three options for doing this:
- Ensuring that the electricity used comes from sources that are as “clean” as possible
- Supporting projects that minimise CO2 emissions
- Generally leading a sustainable corporate philosophy
RAIDBOXES uses all three variants for its green hosting, because we want to do more for the common good. See our workshops on this topic. Together with the renaturation programs we collaborate with, we are not only climate neutral, but even climate positive. But more on that later.
When you host with us, you actively contribute to climate protection. This means in concrete terms:
1. Trees for the Eden Reforestation Projects
We have researched for a long time to find a partner who provides CO2 compensation with added value. For every WordPress page or WooCommerce shop you host with us, we will plant a tree on your behalf. We work together with the Eden Reforestation Projects (short: Eden). The non-profit organization works in regions that are particularly affected by climate change and global deforestation.
Since 2004, Eden has planted over 300 million trees in 5 countries with 82 projects. We at RAIDBOXES have already planted more than 11,000 trees – thanks to our customers (as of June 2019). In its projects, Eden relies on the local residents and workers who are paid for by the donations. This is one of the reasons why we have chosen the Eden Reforestation Projects. The organisation makes an active contribution to the fight against poverty:
2. Green electricity from hydropower
RAIDBOXES uses 100 percent electricity from hydropower. We are aware that not all green electricity is the same. That is why we pay attention to the following framework conditions with our partners:
- The electricity comes entirely from plants that generate energy from hydropower. Hydropower that is remunerated in accordance with the EEG is not included.
- Our electricity is produced exclusively in Germany.
- The criteria are TÜV-certified and are checked annually.
3. Sustainable management
In addition to our carbon offsetting by realizing green hosting, we are gradually implementing a corporate philosophy that focuses on sustainability in all areas. This includes the following points:
- Goals that do not focus on profit maximization but on the benefit for our customers and society. See our vision on common good and equal opportunities.
- Environmentally conscious products and materials for our office, sustainable food for our employees.
- Employee participation programs and the concept of holacracy.
- Support of home office and remote work.
- Fundraising campaigns, for example for disadvantaged families.
- Internal workshops, for example on non-violent communication based on the theory of Marshall B. Rosenberg.
We continue to work on fulfilling our social responsibility. And we hope that these models will find numerous imitators.
Bilder: Markus Spiske, Taylor Vick, Samuel Zeller @Unsplash