Managed WordPress hosting brings your websites a good boost. But what do you have to look out for as a freelancer, agency, blogger or company? How much performance do you actually need? We will show you what really matters.
Which WordPress hosting provider is the best fit for you?
With the success of WordPress and WooCommerce also increases the offer for suitable web hosting. Nearly every service provider writes itself "WordPress hosting" on the flags. But the packages do not always deliver what they promise. And we'll tell you what you need to consider when making your selection.
But before we get to the benefits of managed WordPress hosting: Which variants of web hosting are there anyway? And what are the differences?
With so-called shared web hosting, a large number of customers are hosted on a single web server. Sometimes a large number of websites share such a server. You can check which domains point to your IP with a reverse IP domain check.
Many private bloggers know such webspaces or homepage construction kits from Strato, 1&1 Ionos, ALL-INKL or GoDaddy(DomainFactory & HostEurope). However, some of these also offer managed web hosting. See our WordPress hosting comparison with test results on performance and website speed.
If price is your main concern, then the cheap packages are the way to go. But this is at the expense of other things:
- Performance: The speed is usually significantly lower than with a professional hosting package. More about this later.
- Reliability: the performance of the package can also fluctuate a lot. I know this from my previous blogs: Sometimes they loaded relatively quickly, but often they loaded very sluggishly. And there were prolonged outages. Your customers and Google rarely forgive you for that.
- Scope: Many offers are severely limited in their functions. Low web space, limited databases, PHP restrictions, poor caching or lame CPU power ensure that you are quickly slowed down. Especially when the traffic on your website increases.
- Security: Most web hosts have upgraded here. Nevertheless, it can be a security risk if a website on the same server is hacked.
- SEO: Does shared hosting have a negative effect on search engine optimization? This is often discussed in professional circles. Indirect factors, such as poorer performance, definitely play a role here. Google emphasizes this again and again.
Flexibility is another point. You can hardly set anything yourself with a cheap package or even with a homepage construction kit. This is especially true if you need special functions and therefore Plugins for WordPress or WooCommerce . Or if you want to build interfaces to third-party providers (CRM, ERP, accounting, etc.).
I myself owe some grey hair to the shared web hosting. This is mainly due to poor support. Sometimes I waited up to a week or more for an answer. Companies are dependent on their website. In the event of a failure, they need help within minutes.
You as a customer: king or calculated burden?
Hint: It's a simple math problem: If your hosting costs only a double-digit amount per year, how should the web host pay good supporters from this? He calculates that in the best case you don't contact him at all. Or that the answer to your question can be assembled from existing text modules.
Large shared hosters often do not offer a specialized CMS Hosting in their standard tariffs. Instead, they focus on providing simple solutions for all systems. They are good at many things, but at nothing perfect. Most of them limit themselves to a 1-click installation of the CMS, for example of WordPress. Afterwards, the customer is left alone with the system instead of being supported with special WP tools for the ongoing operation.
For these reasons, such offers are usually frowned upon by WP professionals. For a purely private blog with very manageable traffic, shared hosting might work. For professional gigs and online stores, you need a different approach. See the following tips and our article Factors for WooCommerce-Hosting.
In this model, several virtual machines are housed on a physical server. These each have their own operating system. The VPSs can be individually configured via a so-called root access. In this case, you determine yourself which applications should run on the machine. This is especially useful if you rely on rather exotic systems or unusual configurations. Or if you are a hardcore coder and want to keep everything under your own control.
However, operating a VPS is time-consuming. In addition, you must have very good technical knowledge and continuously check your system but also keep it up to date. Otherwise, individual components will play off each other. Or the virtual server may even become a security risk. Even if the web hosting providers seal off a virtual machine from the others: The full responsibility lies here with you or with your employees. In case of damage, this can quickly threaten your existence.
For this reason, small and medium-sized enterprises shy away from the VPS model. Especially if they do not have an extensive internal IT department with sufficient resources. For them, the managed server is a good alternative.
Tip: Substitution in case of emergency
If someone in your company or a service provider is in charge of a VPS, then make sure that there is a substitute in case of an emergency. This can be other employees or a suitable agency. There are always companies that lie idle for a few days because access or passwords are not available.
A managed server combines the advantages of the other two models. It is continuously maintained by the web host. This applies, for example, to the operating system as well as to the entire technology in the background. If required, also to components of your Content Management System (CMS). In most cases Managed Servers are designed in such a way that you hardly have any work to do with managing your web projects.
With RAIDBOXES you get all the important tools included. They are particularly easy to use. For example, server-side caching, automatic backups, free SSL or a 1-click Staging environment (for testing new functions and Plugins). Also the administration of several WordPress sites becomes extremely efficient. This is especially important for freelancers, WP professionals and agencies.
Tip: Additional revenue for agencies and WP professionals
You develop WordPress or WooCommerce-sites for customers? Then do it now for free - with our FREE-DEV program. Get up to 1.500 € commission per new customer.
Managed servers are
- Comparatively cheap
- Protected against security vulnerabilities through managed updates from the operator
- Sufficiently flexible for most content management systems and applications
- Offer you support
When you use a Managed vServer, you receive a precisely defined part of the hardware that is only available for your website. So you do not have to share it with anyone else. This means that you can always get the same performance.
I'll come to the technical advantages - and what you should pay attention to - in a moment. Ideally, your managed server is specifically designed for the CMS of your website(s). Like our special offers for WordPress or WooCommerce.
As a freelancer, it depends on the area in which you work. Are you a developer or professional for WordPress and WooCommerce? Then it might not be difficult for you to set up and manage a server yourself. But do you have enough time for ongoing maintenance? You are deeply involved in a customer project and your web server is reporting with a critical update? Then it's nice when central tasks run automatically in the background. Or when the administration of your WP instances works at the push of a button. More on this later.
Freelancers and bloggers from more creative fields will work from the beginning with a web hosting where they do not have to deal with technical details. And with which they can always fall back on excellent support, which answers all questions directly and quickly. For example, via chat. Shared hosting with its anonymous call centers is not suitable for this.
Tip: WordPress Networking on site
It doesn't matter if you come from a technical or creative background: It's very helpful if your host is deeply rooted in the WordPress scene. We at RAIDBOXES regularly sponsor WordCamps in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. This means that you can always contact us directly on site.
Hand on heart: Even agencies do not always have the expertise to manage a web server or dedicated server on their own. Or the know-how is there, but the corresponding people are completely busy with customer projects. Technical expertise is a rare and expensive commodity in agencies. The responsibility for hosting can be easily outsourced.
The advantages of the model:
- Everything from a single source: With a suitable platform, you can create and collaborate WordPress sites and collaborate with your clients. Finally, you seamlessly hand over the finished product to your customers.
- Develop without risk: Use a free account for agencies and WP professionals. Then you don't have to pay for new customers in advance.
- Handover: Hand over your project to your client with a few clicks as soon as it can go online. You don't have to write invoices, but you can remain an administrator if necessary.
- Commission: Receive a lucrative commission for your hosting recommendation at the same time.
If you have a web hosting partner you can trust at all times, you will work with them regularly. For one thing, you won't have to constantly look for a new hosting recommendation for your customers. On the other hand, you work with a familiar interface and with a single account. You can even reuse existing projects with preconfigured plugins and themes.
All this saves you many hours of time per customer. Especially at the beginning of the development. If you conclude maintenance contracts with your customers, your service packages can be calculated especially well. With a Managed hosting, you know more precisely what work is still to come and how long it will take.
Companies often find it difficult to assess the quality of web hosting offers. Especially if they do not have access to an internal IT department. The requirements analysis is also difficult: How much memory and storage space does the booked server need? How many CPU cores are allowed? And what do I do if suddenly many visitors storm my website? I will address these questions in the following. See also our article on measures to be taken in case of a high WordPress load.
There are four ways for businesses to get help here:
- Research suitable freelancers for WordPress and WooCommerce. The WP community is a good place to start here, see our resources and tips on the topic.
- Specialized agencies are also deep enough in the subject. However, make sure that WordPress or WooCommerce are part of their core business. Ask for references and contact them. You can't just support both systems on the side.
- Ask other entrepreneurs: Do they rely on WordPress ? Can they recommend a service provider or freelancer?
- Use recommendation platforms like Trusted Shops to find out more about the service quality of a hoster.
In addition, the new web host of your choice should offer you a no-obligation test run with a performance check. And help you with migration from WordPress & WooCommerce . This is a great opportunity to assess the quality of the support team.
Tip: Stress-free migration
Copy your WordPress site directly with our free RAIDBOXES-Migrator Plugin. Or we can move your site for you free of charge within two working days. Your website will remain accessible during the migration.
Reasons for managed WordPress hosting
Speed, cost savings, support, security... Managed hosting for WordPress and WooCommerce offers several advantages. But only if you pay attention to the right features when choosing a webhoster. We explain the most important details step by step. You still have questions afterwards? Or do you have a different opinion? Then use the comments.
Websites and shops have to be fast. Otherwise, the abandonment rate of your visitors increases rapidly. But it doesn't stop there: A single second of additional loading time leads to a 7 percent reduction in conversion and 11 percent fewer page views. A negative user experience doesn't just cause more abandonments in the checkout process. It also lowers the referral rate.
In addition, speed is an important factor for search engine optimization (SEO). Google now punishes slow portals mercilessly. An optimized managed hosting takes most of the performance optimization off your hands - without you having to do it yourself. For this, it should contain:
- Server-side caching: A particularly efficient caching becomes active before WordPress takes over. This makes it possible to deliver websites extremely quickly. The advantage: You no longer need a separate cachingPlugin and do not have to worry about complex settings.
- Special WordPress infrastructure: Your hosting should be specifically designed for WordPress and WooCommerce , and not for other content management systems. More on this in a moment.
- Powerful servers: An important optimization measure for hosting is to increase the CPU cores. After all, with many visitors and corresponding database queries, the server must be able to handle more load. Here, your web host should provide enough flexibility and corresponding packages.
- PHP memory limit: A higher PHP memory limit is absolutely necessary for more complex sites and online shops. This is the only way the server can withstand large and simultaneous processes. For example, with high visitor traffic. See our notes on the WordPress load.
- SSD hard drives: Even with a large number of simultaneous accesses to your site , access times are significantly lower with SSD hard drives. This makes SSD the ideal turbo boost for all your WordPress projects.
- Resource compression: For even faster page requests. Ideally with the latest compression standard Brotli.
About the CPU cores factor: Imagine that the server of your WordPress site or your WooShop is a chip shop. Each employee of the chip shop represents one CPU core. If there is only one salesperson behind the counter, only one request can be processed at a time. If there are only a few visitors, this is not a problem at first.
However, if the number of visitors becomes so high that the French fry vendor is overwhelmed with the requests, more employees (i.e. more CPU cores) are needed. The more of them there are in the chip shop, the more orders can be processed simultaneously:
However, it is important to understand that more CPU cores do not automatically improve your load time. After all, the individual cores work equally fast. Instead, increasing the number of cores ensures that more requests can be processed at the same time and does not overload your portal or shop.
You cannot always optimize the speed of WordPress as it is theoretically possible. With sharedHosting tariffs, the average user has very little or no influence on the performance of his website. This is because only competent professional site operators can independently make the appropriate server settings. If they are accessible at all.
Managed hosting is different. The WordPress sites of our customers run up to 400 percent faster after switching to RAIDBOXES . And that without additional optimization measures. Because our hosting is specially designed for WordPress . Contact us and test us without obligation. We will show you the difference and check your performance.
Time is the most important resource for creative minds. We know this from our own experience - RAIDBOXES was created out of an agency ourselves. With a good managed server you save several hours of working time per month. For example with the administration and optimization of your WordPress sites . So you can concentrate on what you enjoy and earn money: the operation and development of websites, the optimization of your shop with WooCommerce or blogging.
But what exactly does a managed server take away from you? Among other things:
- Installation: With your dashboard you can create or clone new WP websites in no time. Including SSL, caching, a backup system and developer tools.
- Templates: Create permanent WordPress templates. This way, your Plugins, Themes and favorite settings are always preconfigured and ready to use when you start a new project. This is especially useful and time-saving for agencies and freelancers.
- Optimization: Caching, server-side compression or the use of HTTP/2 and the optimal PHP version are available by default in high-quality packages. There is no need to search for and configure cumbersome caching, backup and security plugins. See our article on the pros and cons of securityPlugins.
- Test environment: Make sure that a separate environment for WordPress -Staging is included. Because you should test new Plugins and Themes before you put them live. Also new versions of WordPress , WooCommerce and the extensions.
- Update: Automatically update WordPress as needed, and in some cases, your extensions. Manage Plugins and Themes directly from the hosting dashboard.
- Single Sign-On: Log in to the WordPress backend of your projects with just one click. This means that you can create secure, 64-character passwords and then "forget" them. This way you additionally protect yourself from brute force attacks.
At RAIDBOXES there is also the 1-click WordPress installation: As soon as you click on "BOX create" in our dashboard, a new one will be installed automatically within seconds. WordPress site . Together with cloning, your WordPress templates and Staging you have powerful tools at hand. They significantly reduce your time for setup, administration and development.
On paper, managed WordPress hosting initially looks more expensive than shared hosting. But this is a fallacy. Do a simple calculation, for example by using a tally sheet. How many hours per month do you need for the following points?
- Find and solve web hosting errors. I will come to this point in a moment.
- Set up databases and WordPress installations manually. Pick out and install the same extensions every single time.
- Plugins and Themes , including setting the correct options. You do this often for like WooCommerce or SEO-Plugins? Then you know how much time is lost in the process.
- The cumbersome testing in a separate instance, then carry out the changes again in the live system.
- Simultaneously access and manage multiple WordPress projects, at worst with different hosts.
- Show your clients changes to the website without having to put it live. Or hand over a project to them.
Calculated over all your websites and projects, there is a lot of work here. Especially if you are still working with shared hosting or self-managed servers.
Now multiply that by your hourly rate. Or calculate how much you could earn in these hours. You will quickly come to a sum in the high triple digits or more - per month. Then a high-quality managed hosting is suddenly much cheaper than the less secure alternatives.
Tips for freelancers and self-employed
You are a freelancer? Then it is a central task to calculate your hourly rates correctly. Read more about this at Jan Tissler in his article Avoiding Freelancer Mistakes.
You can save even more money with managed hosting:
- Fewer downtimes and thus loss of earnings of your website. For example, through proper testing in the staging environment or the quick restoration of backups.
- Avoid security risks through late updates of WordPress, WooCommerce, plugins & co.
- Increase your traffic with better Google rankings. Through a high-performance web hosting.
- Change to a higher package at short notice in the event of high visitor numbers - provided your host supports this.
At RAIDBOXES you also save costs for extra cachingPlugins, backup solutions, securityPlugins, SSL certificates or a separate test environment. Our rate calculator shows you which package is the right one for which purpose.
Something is not working on your hosting? This affects your website? Or even paralyses them? Probably all of us know this situation. Your pulse will be more than 180. And without proper support within minutes you will be stuck in such cases.
Shared hosting for WordPress usually saves on support. A private server shifts the entire error handling onto you. If you want to sleep peacefully, then look for a webhoster that offers proven top support. Personally, in your language, in your country, during your working hours. And not only by anonymous e-mail, but on several channels.
Managed host extended support often comes with free additional services. For example with
- Help with migrations
- Support for page optimization
- Plugin and theme recommendations for your individual system setup
In addition, Managed host is able to respond flexibly to your needs. For example, you can negotiate special security solutions or services that differ from the tariff more quickly and unconventionally. With an anonymous gianthost , on the other hand, it is usually impossible to even find the right contact person for this.
The security of your WordPress website or online shop is extremely important. So is your privacy. If your site is hacked or even customer data becomes public, it threatens your existence - no matter if you are "only" the service provider or the operator.
Your managed WordPress hosting should have this to keep your risk to a minimum:
- Integrated SSL: SSL encryption is an absolute must for every professional website. Ideally, the SSL certificates are included in the hosting package - this reduces your effort.
- Hacker and malware protection: Each of your WordPress websites should run independently from other sites websites. This will significantly minimize the potential danger of attacks.
- Automatic and manual backups: These allow you to quickly restore a clean backup in the event of damage. Therefore, the process for restoring the data must be as simple as possible.
- Logins: A built-in login protection is an effective means against brute force attacks.
- Extensions: Use as few Plugins as necessary. It makes sense if important functions like backups or caching are directly integrated in the hosting.
Automatic updates from Plugins also make your WordPress installation more secure. This is because you do not have to take action yourself in case of critical security vulnerabilities. However, such updates are not without controversy, because you cannot test new versions in advance.
Note: WordPress Test updates
Even with automatic updates, you must always keep an eye on your portals or shops. Because in the worst case, these no longer function properly after an update. However, the maintenance of WordPress and WooCommerce can be easily outsourced.
Your websites - or those of your customers - are extremely important to you. That's why you need highest performance, stability and competent contact persons. And in such a way that you do not have to take care of the technology in the background by yourself. Managed hosting is particularly suitable for companies, agencies and freelancers who do not have a very deep technical understanding. If there is a hosting problem, you must be able to trust that it will be resolved quickly. Without your help.
Are you a WP pro? Even then, you have more important things to do than messing around with server configurations, ongoing performance optimization, manually managing your projects, or manual backups. Jan Tissler writes in his guide for freelancers:
Freelancers should think of what they do as a business and treat it exactly that way. It may not feel like entrepreneurship, especially in the beginning. But the more professionally you approach it, the better chance you have of making it work in the long run.
If you outsource the web hosting to a competent partner, then this will lower the risk of your websites going down.
You develop your projects not for yourself but for others? Then it is especially important that your customers perceive you as a professional and reliable partner. Slow or unreachable sites are extremely counterproductive. And your counterpart does not care if the blame lies with you or with a bad hoster.
Tip: No long contract commitment
Look for packages without automatic contract renewal and without cancellation periods. This is another plus point that reduces your financial risk. If you are not satisfied, you can cancel your contract. WordPress migrate . Good host will help you - free of charge.
A reliable web host also ensures that your WordPress sites are protected against attacks by hackers. It monitors the servers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for you and is also available. Independent of weekends or holidays. No matter which hosting model you decide on in the end: Make sure that the servers are located in Germany, if you have your business there. For maximum speed and for data protection that conforms the GDPR regulations.
It is anything but easy to prepare a website for tens of thousands of visitors or thousands of page views per minute. But exactly such a rush of visitors can happen quite quickly. For example, due to a marketing campaign or when your project is mentioned in the media. Special high-performance tariffs are designed so that your websites can withstand large visitor loads.
You only have a manageable number of visitors so far? But do you think this could increase at any time? Then you will start with a small plan. Find a hoster where you can always choose a stronger package with a few clicks. And also back again.
As a service provider, you can pass on the costs of hosting to your customers. Nevertheless, you have to include them in your calculation. And you have to provide your clients with arguments why cheap web hosting is more expensive in the end. See our post WooCommerce for freelancers. The points in it apply equally to WordPress .
Not all managed hosting is the same. Besides the performance, your satisfaction stands and falls with how easy it is to use the dashboard of the web hoster. And which functions are supported.
The BOXEN principle of RAIDBOXES , for example, allows a quick overview of all your projects - without the hassle of switching between different accesses and accounts. But that is by no means everything that makes up a good administration:
- Templates: Clone a WordPress site from an existing backup or save permanent templates to start new WordPress projects even more efficiently.
- Access to WordPress : Colleagues or customers should have one-click access to your WordPress sites with one click. For example, to test them or to take them down.
- Change of ownership: Your project is finished? Then you want to easily transfer sites to a new owner - for example to your customer. And you still need access as an admin.
- Databases and FTP: You need direct access to the MySQL databases or the SFTP accesses of the websites when developing.
- Error Logs: It is also important for developers to have quick access to log files such as the WP_DEBUG_LOG, ACCESS LOG or ERROR LOG.
Automated processes are just as effective. This includes the one-click installation of WordPress , the restoration of data backups at the push of a button or the support when switching from another project or host . Existential for developers: A free and secure Secure Shell environment (SSH) with preinstalled WP-CLI as well as Git (with us from STARTER-plan ). This saves valuable time when developing your websites.
It is grossly negligent to operate WordPress or WooCommerce without a separate test environment and backups. A wrong setting in one Plugin or a new extension that is not compatible with the rest, and your website is paralyzed. Under certain circumstances, this can also not be easily reversed.
Using WordPress -Staging you can test changes on a copy of your site in a realistic server environment. And all this without the risk of damaging your active WordPress site . If you are satisfied with the result, you can transfer the changes to your livesite with just one click. This is especially useful if you:
- Try out a new Theme or design for your project
- make changes to the CSS
- Test other settings from plugins
- Install a Plugin that fundamentally changes your database
However, a central error has crept into your live portal? You've imported the wrong records? Or your website gets hacked? Then you need backups - GDPR - stored on secure servers.
There are good backupPlugins for WordPress . But to configure them correctly is not always easy. Also concerning the selection of the storage points and the restoration of the backups. At RAIDBOXES , every BOX has a complete backup system built in. It stores your data on a secure system. With our tool you can:
- Save not only the database but your entire website and server settings. You have full access to all backup points at any time.
- These can be restored in a few seconds and without any support.
- We make a backup of your WordPress web pages every night fully automatically. Depending on your plan they are stored between seven and 30 days - manual backups also permanently.
- You want to save a version locally? Download each backup free of charge if required.
- You want to start another similar WordPress project? Just clone a new BOX from a backup. Or use your saved templates.
In addition, backup plugins occupy additional storage space. With us your backups are stored on our own server in Europe. And not on your WordPress installation. If your WordPress login once is broken, you can restore your website with one click. Without having to search for the backup.
Specialization in WordPress
Through our own agency experience, we know which features you need as a WordPress professional to make your projects a success. Our team is completely dedicated to WordPress. This experience flows continuously into our product development. We don't have rigid hierarchies or complicated communication channels at RAIDBOXES and so our product development is particularly flexible and agile.
This specialization in managed WordPress hosting is very important if your websites run with the leading content management system. Because this enables us to react immediately to external factors. For example, extensions in the WordPress core. Thanks to our connection to the community, we also know earlier than others where things with WordPress are heading.
"Real" WordPress Support
In concrete terms, this means that you do not have to explain the peculiarities and technical terms of WordPress and WooCommerce to our supporters when you need their help. Experience has shown that this can happen with other service providers who are not specialized in WordPress . Test our support: How fast can they do your site ? Or how can he help you with migration from WordPress ?
Our team comes from the WP community itself. Accordingly, the answers to your questions are targeted and practical. We don't have a call center and no waiting loops, but only personal and individual advice from WordPress experts. In addition, we have a dashboard with functions that were developed specifically for WordPress and WooCommerce instead of having to "bend" them awkwardly for multiple systems. This is what our customers say about it:
In RAIDBOXES, we've finally found a WordPress host that can entirely meet the demands of our multiple and often changing websites.Robbie Bouschery from the startup event PIRATE Summit.
RAIDBOXES delivers exactly the things that WordPress agencies have been wanting for years.Christos Papadopoulos of the AWEOS agency
Not only are we here to provide you with in-depth WordPress support site . Numerous instructions and best-practice examples ensure that you can read our knowledge at any time. RAIDBOXES explains WordPress in an understandable way - for professionals as well as for beginners. Use our WordPress magazine wp unboxedour help center, our e-books or our newsletter.
Green Managed WordPress Hosting
This factor has only indirectly to do with managed WordPress hosting. And yet it is important that you address the question: What impact do your websites have on the global climate? We don't usually consciously associate the Internet and web hosting with climate change. And yet, the effects are astounding:
- If the Internet were a country, it would have the sixth largest electricity consumption on the planet.
- By 2030, the share of the grid in global energy consumption is expected to rise to over 20 percent.
- When you run a website or an online store, you consume a lot of resources.
- At present, about 34 percent of all websites worldwide are operated by WordPress. In concrete terms, this means that the future of our planet will depend on how WordPress performs.
Simon Kraft deals intensively with the combination of WordPress development and sustainability in his blog. He also speaks regularly on the topic at WordCamps and WP MeetUps. What does WordPress have to do with the climate? Simon lists concrete measures:
- Remove unnecessary ballast from your website. Especially features that involve large data transfers, e.g. Google Maps or social media integrations that connect to the networks every time a page is viewed.
- Are image galleries and oversized post images really necessary? Or extensive animated .gifs? Simple still images explain a topic professionally just as well, while minimizing load time.
- Clean out your Plugins . This not only makes WordPress more secure, it also increases speed in many cases. Ideally, many functions are pre-installed on the server side in your managed WordPress hosting.
- You develop Plugins and Themes? Then simplify the code, update old code libraries or remove them. Every byte that is not transferred saves resources.
On websitecarbon.com you can roughly estimate the CO2 emissions of your websites:
WordPress developers in particular can have a much bigger impact than they realize. Because their source code is used on a large number of websites. The entire traffic that arises from a poorly thought out development increases its impact exponentially.
As an agency or owner of the website, you can also make sure to use as few and particularly lean Plugins and Themes as possible. This makes your website faster - and supports the climate. A particularly drastic example: Danny van Kooten develops the popular Plugin Mailchimp for WordPress . It has over one million active installations. By streamlining the programming of this Plugins alone, he saves 59,000 kg of CO2 - per month!
Additionally, opt for a green hosting plan. But be careful: What is declared as sustainable is not always "sustainable". Pay attention to a transparent presentation. At RAIDBOXES , welist in detail how we contribute to climate protection:
- Reforestation through Eden Reforestation Projects: For every WordPress site or WooCommerce shop you host with us, we plant a tree for you. We work together with Eden to do this. The non-profit organization works in regions that are particularly suffering from climate change and global deforestation. In the first quarter of 2020 alone, we were able to donate 25,500 trees - as CO2 compensation for your hosting.
- Climate-positive project work: In addition to reforestation, we support the Get Mads initiative. It invests in climate-positive projects that are selected according to strict criteria. Through this partnership alone, RAIDBOXES currently offsets an additional 40.48 tons of CO2 every month. That means the equivalent of more than 160,000 car kilometres driven.
- Green electricity from hydropower: RAIDBOXES uses 100 percent electricity from hydropower. We are aware that not all green electricity is the same. That is why we pay attention to effective framework conditions with our partners.
- Sustainable Business: In addition to balancing green hosting, we are committed to a corporate philosophy that emphasizes sustainability in all areas. Read more about how our employees contribute to mindful cooperation here.
We continue to work on fulfilling our social responsibility. And we hope that the aforementioned models will find numerous imitators. We are pursuing a major goal: 100,000 trees for the climate in 2020. You can help us achieve this.
Central management of all your projects
By developing or managing several WordPress websites at the same time, you can scale your business model upwards. However, this should in no way lead to an increase in your administrative tasks to the same extent.
A central dashboard for managed WordPress hosting - like the one from RAIDBOXES - gives you more freedom here. No matter whether you work in an agency or independently. And regardless of whether your concept includes corporate websites, content portals, blogs or shops. The concrete advantages of a consolidated interface include:
- Faster work: You and your team don't have to learn different dashboards from each web host.
- Template management: Existing projects can be cloned or reused in parts.
- Website status: You have a quick overview of all your projects at any time. Including status, workload, changes made, pending updates or permissions.
- Integrated solutions: Functions like caching, backups, Staging, SSL certificates or domain management are already integrated without the need for additional Plugins . This reduces the maintenance effort.
- Rights model: You work in a team, together with other freelancers? Then you should be able to add more admins for individual projects at any time.
- Accounting: You only receive one invoice from one service provider and do not have to deal with provider changes and complicated contract transfers on a regular basis.
You use our FREE DEV program? Then even your commissions - which you receive when handing over to your customers or when recommending RAIDBOXES - can be managed in one place. Including statistics on how successful your recommendations and the advertising media used are.
You need WordPress multilingual, for your own project or for your customers? Your hosting should be optimized for this and not slow down the multilingualism due to lack of performance or functions.
There are different variants of the implementation. In the form of a path within the URL (example.de/en), as a subdomain (en.example.de) or as a multidomain. In this case, each language receives its own domain. From a search engine optimization (SEO) perspective, the latter is usually the best option for multilingualism with WordPress and WooCommerce. RAIDBOXES supports the setup of WPML Multidomain with its own features.
Experience has shown that correct forwarding is often neglected when switching to WPML Multidomain. These are essential for your SEO, however. How else are search engines going to know where to find the new content? All backlinks that your website has built up naturally before will otherwise point nowhere and thus lose their value. RAIDBOXES allows you to create your own redirects in your BOX dashboard without a plugin.
Setting up WPML Multidomain is not that easy. Again, the optimized options in our dashboard will assist you. See our guide on how to do this. The multidomain feature also works with Polylang. But only if you have enabled WPML compatibility mode in Polylang. Have questions about this? Or about setting up WPML Multidomain in general? Our support will be happy to help you.
Migration to Managed WordPress Hosting
You want a website or all your projects to our managed hosting for WordPress migrate ? Or your WooCommerce shop? This is very easy. Copy your WordPress sites directly with our free RAIDBOXES Migrator Plugin:
- After downloading our Migrator plugin, upload it to your existing WordPress site in the admin panel and start the free migration.
- Copy your site into a new WordPress installation. Or overwrite an existing site in your dashboard.
- We now create a copy of your website and do not make any changes on your live website. Your live website still stays online!
- After the migration is completed you can test us free of charge and without obligation, or activate your site immediately.
With the help of our Plugins you can do your migration immediately, without waiting time. Alternatively, we can move your site for you. This happens within two working days, with our moving service. Your migration move to us is 100% free of charge and without obligation. Migrate your website from your currenthost to us.
Your website remains accessible
Your old site one remains completely accessible during the migration. No matter whether you use the Migrator or our relocation service, only a copy of your active WordPress site is installed with us. When you are satisfied with us, just select a plan, activate it and link a domain - that's it.
Hand over projects to your customers
You have developed your project for free with us? Then allow your customers with one click to access the sites , to test and accept it. But what happens afterwards? Save yourself the annoying administration, cancellations, cumbersome contract transfers or even the change to a new server or web hoster. At RAIDBOXES you can transfer a website to other RAIDBOXES users at any time, also with a simple mouse click.
The transfer is straightforward:
- The new owner will receive an email with a confirmation link. With this he can complete the change of ownership.
- If the new owner doesn't yet have a RAIDBOXES account, a new account will be created during the transfer process.
- If the new owner already has a RAIDBOXES account, all you have to do is enter the email address with which they are registered in our system.
After each change of ownership you automatically remain admin of site , as long as your customer wishes so. So you still have access to the hosting settings of BOX.
Commissions for agencies, developers and web designers
Tip: You participate in our affiliate program or are FREE DEV partner? Then the change of ownership is automatically tracked as commission-relevant. We will pay you up to 1.500 Euro commission for each new customer. The more customers you refer, the higher your commission will be.
Standard hosters are very cheap. But as soon as a problem arises you're on your own. If you value performance and support, then you should definitely opt for a WordPress optimized Managed Hosting. Especially WP professionals and agencies save a lot of time and money with the included tools.
You want to do something good for yourself, but also for your fellow human beings? RAIDBOXES provides not only climate-neutral, but even climate-positive hosting. If you run a website or an online shop, you consume a lot of resources. We want to counteract this. Read our article on the opportunities and limitations of ecological web hosting offers. You work in an agency, are a developer, WP expert, web designer or you blog professionally? Then you can do good and generate additional income.
You still have questions about the features and performance that a good web hosting should contain? Or you are unsure whether all this works for your project? Contact us and test RAIDBOXES without any obligation. Based on your website(s) we will find out if and which managed WordPress hosting is the right one for you. And how much faster we can make your project.
Want to share the knowledge from this post? It is also available as an e-book:
Contributing photo: Mateusz Dach