Managed WordPress hosting can give your website or online shop a real boost. But what do you, as an agency or freelance, have to pay attention to for your blog or company? How much performance do you actually need? Let us shed some light on this broad topic for you.
Which WordPress hosting provider is the best fit for you?
With the success of WordPress and WooCommerce, the number of suitable web hosting offers is also increasing. Almost every service provider claims to provide "WordPress hosting". But the packages don't always deliver what they promise. We tell you what you need to consider when choosing a hosting provider to make sure you can achieve permanently fast loading times for your WordPress projects permanently.
But before we get to the managed WordPress hosting advantages. let's consider what kind of web hosting options you have in the first place. What are the differences? And which are suitable for your WordPress projects?
With so-called shared web hosting, the projects of a large number of customers are hosted on a single web server. Sometimes a huge number of websites share the server. You can use a reverse IP domain check tool to check which other domains also point to your IP.
Many private bloggers are familiar with such webspaces or homepage construction kits from Strato, 1&1 Ionos, ALL-INKL or GoDaddy(DomainFactory & HostEurope). However, some of these also offer managed web hosting. See our WordPress hosting comparison with test results on performance and website speed.
If price is your main concern, cheap packages are the way to go. But you should keep in mind that these are at the expense of other points:
- Performance: The speed is usually significantly lower than with a professional hosting package. More about this later.
- Reliability: The performance of the package can also fluctuate greatly. I know this myself from my earlier blogs. Sometimes they loaded relatively quickly, but often they were also very slow. And there were longer downtimes. Your visitors, your clients (as an agency) and Google rarely forgive you for reliability issues and downtime.
- Scope: Many offers are severely limited in their functions. Low web space, limited databases, PHP restrictions, poor caching or lame CPU power ensure that your website is quickly slowed down. Especially when the traffic on your website increases.
- Security: Most web hosts have upgraded here. Nevertheless, it can be a security risk if a website on the same server is hacked.
- SEO: Does shared hosting have a negative effect on search engine optimization (SEO)? This topic is often discussed in specialist circles. Indirect factors, such as poorer performance, definitely play a role here, as Google regularly points out.
Flexibility is another point. With a low-cost package or even with a homepage construction kit, you can hardly set anything yourself. This is particularly important if you need special functions and therefore plugins for WordPress or WooCommerce. Or if you want to set up interfaces to third-party providers (CRM, ERP, payment, accounting, etc.).
I'll admit, shared hosting has given me my fair share of grey hairs over the years and it's mainly been due to the poor support, I received. It was not uncommon for me to wait up to a week or more for an answer, or for the support team to not help me. Companies and agencies depend on their website or shop and, in the event of an outage, they need help within a few minutes.
Price vs WordPress Support
It's a simple calculation: if your hosting only costs a two-digit amount per year, how is the web host going to afford to pay for good supporters? They calculate that, in the best case, you'll never contact them or that the answer to your question can be assembled from existing text modules.
Large shared hosts often don't offer specialized CMS hosting in their standard tariffs, i.e. hosting that's optimized for WordPress and thus makes your website faster. Instead, they focus on providing simple solutions for all systems. It means they can do many things well, but nothing perfectly.
Most share hosts limit themselves to the one-click installation of the CMS and additional components, for example WordPress or WooCommerce. After that, customers are often left alone with the system instead of being supported with special WordPress tools for ongoing operations.
For these reasons, such offers are usually frowned upon by WordPress and WooCommerce professionals . Shared hosting may work for a purely private blog with a very manageable number of visitors. For professional sites and online shops, however, you need a different approach. Check out the following tips and our article Factors for WooCommerce Hosting.
With this model, several virtual machines are housed on a physical server, each of which has its own operating system. The VPSs can be individually configured via a root access. In this case, you determine yourself which applications should run on the machine. This is especially useful if you're dependent on rather exotic systems or unusual configurations. Or if you are a hardcore developer and want to keep everything under your own control.
Running your own VPS is, however, time consuming. In addition, you must have very good technical knowledge to continuously check your system and also keep it up to date. Otherwise, individual components will play off each other or the virtual server could even become a security risk. Even if the web hosting providers seal off one virtual machine from the others, the full responsibility lies with you or your employees. In the event of damage, this can quickly threaten your livelihood.
For this reason, small and medium-sized enterprises shy away from the VPS model. Especially if they do not have an extensive internal IT department with sufficient resources. For them, the managed server is a good alternative, whether for WordPress or other content management systems.
Tip: Substitution in case of emergency
If someone in your company or a service provider is in charge of a VPS, make sure that there is a substitute in case of an emergency. This can be other employees or a suitable agency. There are always companies whose operations lie idle for several days or even weeks because access or passwords are not available.
A managed server combines the advantages of the other two models; it is continuously maintained by the web hoster. This applies to the operating system and the entire technology in the background, but also to components of your content management system (CMS), if required. In most cases, managed servers are designed in such a way that you hardly have any more work with the administration of your web projects.
With RAIDBOXES you get all the important tools included, and they are also particularly easy to use. For example, server-side caching, automatic backups, free SSL or a 1-click Staging environment (for testing new functions and Plugins). It also makes the simultaneous administration of several WordPress projects extremely efficient. This is especially important for agencies, WP professionals and freelancers, see our article Managing 5 to 100+ WordPress projects efficiently. It is also available as an e-book.
Tip: Additional income for agencies and WordPress professionals
Managed servers are
- Comparatively cheap
- Protected against security vulnerabilities through managed updates from the operator
- Sufficiently flexible for most content management systems and applications
- Are offered with support, ideally by a specialised team dealing exclusively with WordPress and WooCommerce
When using a managed vServer, you get a well-defined part of the hardware that is only available for your website, so you don't have to share it with any other site . This means that you can always access the same performance.
I'll come to the technical advantages - and what you should pay attention to - in a moment. Ideally, your managed server is specifically designed for the CMS of your websites. Like our special offers for WordPress or WooCommerce.
As a freelancer, the choice of hosting depends on the field in which you work. Are you a developer or a professional for WordPress and WooCommerce? Then it might not be difficult for you to set up and manage a server yourself. Yes, you can:
- Do you have enough time for ongoing maintenance?
- You are deep in a customer project and your web server reports a critical update?
- Or a new security vulnerability becomes known that requires immediate action?
In all these cases, it is advisable to have central tasks running automatically in the background. Or if the administration of your WordPress instances works at the push of a button. More on this later.
Freelancers and bloggers from more creative fields will work with web hosting from the very beginning, where they do not have to deal with technical details. And they can always rely on excellent support that answers all questions directly and quickly, for example via chat. Shared hosting with its anonymous call centres is not suitable for this.
Tip: WordPress Networking on site
It doesn't matter if you come from a technical or creative background: It is very helpful if your host is deeply rooted in the WordPress scene. We at RAIDBOXES regularly sponsor WordCamps in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, but also throughout Europe. This means that you can always contact us directly on site.
Hand on heart: even agencies do not always have the expertise to manage a web server or dedicated server on their own. Or the know-how is there, but the relevant people are completely occupied with client projects. Technical expertise is a rare and expensive commodity in agencies. Fortunately, the responsibility for WordPress hosting can be easily outsourced.
The advantages of the model:
- Everything from one source: With a suitable platform, you can create WordPress websites much more efficiently and work together with your clients. Finally, you seamlessly hand over the finished product to your clients.
- Develop without risk: Use a free account for agencies and WP professionals. Then you don't have to pay for new customers in advance.
- Handover: Hand over your project to your clients with just a few clicks as soon as it can go online. You don't have to write invoices, but you can remain an administrator if necessary.
- Commission: Receive a lucrative commission for your hosting recommendation at the same time.
If you have a web hosting partner you can trust at all times, you will work with them regularly. On the one hand, you don't have to constantly search for a new hosting recommendation for your customers. Secondly, you will work with a familiar interface and a single account for each new project. You can even reuse existing projects with pre-configured Plugins and Themes, more on that later.
This saves you many hours of time per client project, especially at the beginning of development. If you conclude maintenance contracts with your customers, your service packages can be calculated particularly well. With managed hosting, you know exactly what work you have to do and how long it will take.
Companies often find it difficult to assess the quality of web hosting offers. Especially if they do not have access to an internal IT department. The requirements analysis is also difficult:
- How much memory and storage space does the booked server require?
- How many CPU cores are allowed?
- And what do I do if suddenly a lot of visitors storm my website, for example when it is mentioned in the media?
I will address these questions later on. See also our post on taking action when the WordPress load is high. There are four basic ways to get help here if you work for a company:
- Search for suitable freelancers for WordPress and WooCommerce. The WordPress community is a good place to start, see our resources and tips on the topic.
- Specialised agencies are also deep enough in the subject. However, make sure that WordPress or WooCommerce are part of their core business. Ask for references and contact them. You can't just take care of both systems on the side; that would be at the expense of quality.
- Ask other entrepreneurs who are friends: Do they use WordPress ? Can they recommend suitable service providers or freelancers?
- Use recommendation platforms like Trusted Shops to find out more about the service quality of a hoster.
In addition, the new web host of your choice should offer you a non-binding test run with a performance check. And help you with migration from WordPress & WooCommerce . This is a great opportunity to assess the quality of the support team. Can they answer all your questions? How quickly do they respond to your enquiry?
Tip: Stress-free WordPress migration
We move your WordPress website or online shop for you free of charge, within two working days. Your website will remain accessible during the migration. Do you have any questions in advance? Then contact our support at any time, even if you are not yet one of our customers. Or arrange a non-binding consultation appointment.
Reasons for managed WordPress hosting
Speed, cost savings, support, security... Managed hosting for WordPress and WooCommerce offers a number of plus points. But only if you pay attention to the right features when choosing a web host. We explain the most important details step by step. Do you still have questions? Or do you have a different opinion? Then feel free to use the comment function at the end of the article.
Websites and online shops have to be fast, otherwise the abandonment rate of your visitors increases rapidly. But it doesn't stop there: a single second of additional loading time leads to a 7 percent reduction in conversion and 11 percent fewer page views. A negative user experience not only leads to more abandonments in the checkout process, it also lowers the recommendation rate. In other words: how much turnover you achieve with your websites is directly related to their performance.
In addition, the loading speed is an important factor for search engine optimisation (SEO). Google now punishes slow portals mercilessly. An optimised managed WordPress hosting takes care of most of the performance optimisation without you having to do anything yourself. Your hosting package should include the following components:
- Server-side caching: A particularly efficient caching becomes active before WordPress takes over. This makes it possible to deliver websites extremely quickly. The advantage: You don't need a separate caching Plugin for WordPress and you don't have to worry about its complex settings.
- Special infrastructure for WordPress : Your hosting should be specially adapted to WordPress and WooCommerce , not to other content management systems. This speeds up the page load considerably, more on this in a moment.
- Powerful servers: An important optimisation measure for WordPress hosting is to increase the CPU cores. After all, the server must be able to handle more load with many calls and corresponding database queries. Here, your web host should provide enough flexibility and corresponding high-traffic packages that you can switch to if necessary. Because when your success comes, it should also be able to be managed sustainably.
- PHP memory limit: A higher PHP memory limit is absolutely necessary for more complex sites and online shops. This is the only way the server can withstand large and simultaneous processes, e.g. with a high number of visitors. See our notes on the WordPress load.
- SSD hard disks: Even with a large number of simultaneous accesses to your site , access times are significantly shorter with SSD hard drives. This makes SSDs the ideal turbo boost for all your WordPress projects.
- Resource compression: For even faster page views, ideally with the latest Brotli compression standard.
Regarding the CPU core factor: Imagine that the server of your WordPress website or your WooCommerce shop is a chip shop. Everyone working in the chip shop represents one CPU core each. If there is only one salesperson behind the counter, then only one request can be processed at a time. If there are only a few visitors, this is not a problem at first.
However, if the number of visitors becomes so high that the sales staff is overwhelmed with the requests, more employees (i.e. more CPU cores) are needed. The more of them there are in the chip shop, the more orders can be processed simultaneously. Pictorially, this looks like this:
In this context, however, it is important to understand that more CPU cores do not automatically improve the loading time of your site , after all, the individual cores work equally fast. Rather, increasing the cores ensures that more requests can be processed simultaneously and that your portal or shop is not overloaded.
You cannot always optimise the speed of WordPress in the way that is theoretically possible. With shared hosting plans, average users have very little to no influence on the performance of their websites, because only host or knowledgeable people can make the appropriate server settings on their own, if they are accessible at all.
Managed hosting is different. The WordPress websites of our customers run up to 400 percent faster after switching to RAIDBOXES . And that's without additional optimisation measures, because our hosting is specially adapted to WordPress . Contact us and test us without obligation. We will show you the difference and check your performance. How much faster will your projects be after you switch to migration ?
Time is the most important resource for creative minds. We know this from our own experience - RAIDBOXES was created out of an agency ourselves. With a good managed server, you save several hours of working time per month. For example, in the administration and optimisation of your WordPress sites . This allows you to concentrate on what you enjoy and what makes you money: operating and developing websites, optimising your online shop with WooCommerce or blogging.
But what exactly does a managed server for WordPress do for you? Among other things:
- Installation: With your dashboard you can create or clone new WordPress websites in no time. Including SSL, caching, a backup system and tools for developers.
- Templates: Create permanent WordPress templates. This way, your Plugins, Themes and favourite settings are always pre-configured and ready to use when you start a new project. This is especially useful and time-saving for agencies and freelancers.
- Optimization: Caching, server-side compression or the use of HTTP/2 and the optimal PHP version are available by default in high-quality packages. There is no need to search for and configure cumbersome caching, backup and security plugins. See our article on the pros and cons of securityPlugins.
- Test environment: Make sure that a separate environment is included for WordPress Staging is included. Because you should definitely test new Plugins and Themes before you put them live. Also new versions of WordPress , WooCommerce and their extensions.
- Update: Automatically update WordPress or Plugins as needed. Manage Plugins and Themes directly in the hosting dashboard instead of having to switch to the backend of WordPress every time.
- Single Sign-On: Log in to the WordPress backend of your projects with just one click. This means that you can create secure, 64-character passwords and then "forget" them. This gives you additional protection against brute force attacks.
RAIDBOXES also offers the 1-click WordPress installation: as soon as you click on "CreateBOX " in our dashboard, a new WordPress website is automatically installed in seconds. Together with cloning, your WordPress templates and Staging , you have powerful tools at your fingertips. They significantly reduce your time for setup, administration and development. This pays directly into the next benefit of managed WordPress hosting, the reduction of your ongoing operational expenses.
On paper, managed WordPress hosting initially looks more expensive than shared hosting. But this is a fallacy. Do a simple calculation, for example by using a tally sheet. How many hours per month do you need for the following points?
- Find and solve web hosting errors. I will come to this point in a moment.
- Manually setting up databases and WordPress installations, picking out and installing the same extensions over and over again.
- Plugins and Themes , including setting the right options. You do this often for WooCommerce or SEO Plugins? Then you know how much time is lost.
- The cumbersome testing in a separate instance, then carry out the changes again in the live system.
- Access and manage several WordPress projects at the same time, at worst with different hosts.
- Show your customers changes to the website without having to put them live. Or hand over a project to them.
Calculated over all your websites and projects, this adds up to quite a lot. Especially if you still work with shared hosting or a self-managed server.
Now multiply that by your hourly rate or calculate how much you could earn during that time. You'll quickly come up with a sum in the high triple digits or more - per month. Then a high-quality managed hosting is suddenly much cheaper than the less easy-to-manage alternatives.
No matter if you manage 5, 50 or 500 WordPress projects, and no matter if you do this for yourself or on behalf of a client: the administrative processes quickly take up a large part of your working time. In this article, we will show you how you can centralise your WordPress management to reduce additional costs.
Tips for freelancers and self-employed
You are a freelancer? Then it is a central task to calculate your hourly rates correctly. Read more about this at Jan Tissler in his article Avoiding Freelancer Mistakes.
You can save even more money with managed hosting:
- There is less downtime of your website and thus less loss of earnings. For example, through proper testing in the Staging environment or by quickly restoring backups in an emergency.
- Avoid security risks through late updates of WordPress, WooCommerce, plugins & co.
- Increase your traffic with better rankings on Google, which you can achieve with high-performance web hosting.
- Change to a higher package at short notice in the event of high visitor numbers - provided your host supports this.
At RAIDBOXES you also save costs for extra cachingPlugins, backup solutions, securityPlugins, SSL certificates or a separate test environment. Our rate calculator shows you which package is the right one for which purpose.
Something is not working on your WordPress hosting? Is it affecting your website or even paralysing it? Probably all of us know this situation. Without reasonable support within minutes, you are at a loss in such cases.
Shared hosting for WordPress usually deliberately saves on support, whereas a private server passes on the entire error handling to you. If you want to sleep soundly, then look for a web host that demonstrably offers top support. Personally, in your language, in your country, during your working hours. And not just by anonymous e-mail, but on several channels. This is what our customers say, for example:
"Thanks to RAIDBOXES , we have been able to significantly reduce server administration costs in our agency. Setting up new development environments for our projects is now child's play. We can absolutely recommend RAIDBOXES as an innovative host for WordPress systems."Patrick Heinker, Managing Director, giftGRÜN GmbH Digitalagentur
"The best WordPress web host Germany. Worldwide. Easy to set up, top performance and the fastest & best customer service we have experienced in a long time. The entire team from content marketing to sales is dedicated, friendly and highly qualified. We recommend RAIDBOXES to all our clients and 100% satisfaction confirms that we are right to do so. Keep up the good work and we're looking forward to lots of new features!"Daan Bachmann, Chief Design Officer, stark.marketing GmbH
Managed host extended support often comes with free additional services. For example with
- Help with migration from WordPress and WooCommerce
- Support with page optimisation to increase loading speed
- Plugin and theme recommendations for your individual system setup
In addition, managed WordPress host are able to respond flexibly to your needs. For example, you can negotiate special security solutions or services that differ from the tariff more quickly and unconventionally. With an anonymous gianthost , on the other hand, it is usually impossible to find the right contact person.
The security of your WordPress website or online shop is extremely important. So is data protection. If your site is hacked or customer data becomes public, this threatens your existence - regardless of whether you are "only" the service provider or operator.
Your managed WordPress hosting should have this to keep your risk to a minimum:
- Integrated SSL: SSL encryption is an absolute must for every professional website. Ideally, the SSL certificates are included in the hosting package - this reduces your effort.
- Hacker and malware protection: Each of your WordPress websites should run independently of other projects. This minimises the potential danger of attacks considerably.
- Automatic and manual backups: These allow you to quickly restore a clean backup in the event of damage. Therefore, the process for restoring the data must be as simple as possible.
- Logins: A built-in login protection is an effective means against brute force attacks.
- Extensions: Use as few Plugins as necessary. It makes sense if important functions such as backups or caching are directly integrated into the hosting. And you have one less potential attack surface.
Automatic updates from Plugins also make your WordPress installation more secure. Because then you don't have to become active yourself in case of critical security vulnerabilities. However, such updates are not entirely uncontroversial because you cannot test new versions in advance.
Note: WordPress Test updates
Even with automatic updates, you must always keep an eye on your portals or shops, because in the worst case scenario, they will no longer function properly after an update. However, the maintenance of WordPress and WooCommerce can be easily outsourced.
Your websites - or those of your customers - are extremely important to you. That's why you need the highest performance, stability and competent support from your host . And you don't have to take care of the technology in the background yourself. Managed WordPress hosting is particularly suitable for companies, agencies and freelancers who do not have a very deep technical understanding. If there is a problem with the hosting, you need to be confident that it will be taken care of quickly.
Are you a WordPress professional? Even then, you have more important things to do than to struggle with server configurations, ongoing performance optimisation, the manual management of your projects or manual backups. Jan Tissler writes in its guide for freelancers:
Freelancers should think of what they do as a business and treat it exactly that way. It may not feel like entrepreneurship, especially in the beginning. But the more professionally you approach it, the better chance you have of making it work in the long run.
If you outsource your web hosting to a competent partner, this reduces the risk of your websites going down.
You develop your projects not for yourself but for others? Then it is especially important that your clients perceive you as a professional and reliable partner. Slow or unavailable sites are extremely counterproductive. And your counterpart doesn't care whether the blame lies with you or with a bad host .
Tip: No long contract commitment
Look for packages without automatic contract renewal and without cancellation periods. This is another plus point that reduces your financial risk. If you are not satisfied, you can return your WordPress projects to migrate . Good host will help you - free of charge.
A reliable web host also ensures that your WordPress sites is protected from attacks by hackers. They monitor the servers for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and are also available, regardless of weekends or holidays. No matter which hosting model you choose in the end: Make sure that the servers are located in Germany. For maximum speed and for GDPR -compliant data protection.
It is anything but easy to prepare a website for thousands of visitors or thousands of page views per minute. But exactly such a rush of visitors can happen quite quickly, for example due to a marketing campaign or when your project is mentioned in the media. Special high performance tariffs are designed so that your website can withstand large visitor loads.
You only have a manageable number of hits on your website or shop so far? But do you think that this could increase at any time? Then you should start with a small plan . Look for host , where you can choose a stronger package at any time with just a few clicks and also back again if necessary.
As a service provider, you can pass on the costs of hosting to your customers, but you still have to include them in your calculations. And you have to provide arguments to those who hire you why cheap web hosting is more expensive in the end. See our article WooCommerce for freelancers. The points in it also apply to WordPress .
Not all managed hosting is the same. Besides the performance, your satisfaction stands and falls with how easy it is to use the dashboard of the web hoster. And which functions are supported.
The BOXEN principle of RAIDBOXES , for example, allows a quick overview of all your projects - without the hassle of switching between different accesses and accounts. But that is by no means all that makes for good administration:
- Templates: Clone a WordPress website from an existing backup or save permanent templates to start new WordPress projects even more efficiently.
- Access to WordPress : Your team or clients should be able to access your WordPress projects with one click. For example, to test or approve them.
- Change of ownership: Your project is finished? Then you want to easily transfer sites to a new person or another company - for example, to your customers. And you still need access as an admin.
- Databases and FTP: You need direct access to the MySQL databases or the SFTP accesses of the websites when developing.
- Error Logs: For developers it is also important to have quick access to the log files such as the WP_DEBUG_LOG, ACCESS LOG or ERROR LOG.
Automated processes are just as effective. These include the one-click installation of WordPress , the restoration of data backups at the push of a button or support when switching from another project or host . Essential for developers : A free and secure Secure Shell environment (SSH) with pre-installed WP-CLI and Git (with us from STARTER-plan ). This saves valuable time when developing your websites.
It is grossly negligent to operate WordPress or WooCommerce without a separate test environment and backups. One wrong setting in a Plugin or a new extension that is not compatible with the rest, and your entire website is paralysed. Under certain circumstances, this cannot be easily undone.
Using WordPress Staging you can test changes on a copy of your site in a realistic server environment. And all this without the risk of causing damage to your active WordPress site . If you are satisfied with the result, you can transfer the changes to your livesite with just one click. This is especially useful if you:
- Try out a new WordPress Theme or design for your project.
- make changes to the CSS
- Test the settings of Plugins
- Install a Plugin that fundamentally changes your database
However, a central error has crept into your live portal? Have you imported the wrong data records? Or your website is hacked? Then you need backups - GDPR - stored on secure servers.
There are good backup Plugins for WordPress . But configuring them correctly is not always easy, also when it comes to selecting the storage points and restoring the backups. At RAIDBOXES , a complete backup system is integrated in every BOX , it stores your data on a secure system. With our tool you can:
- Save not only the database but your entire website or shop and all server settings. You have full access to all backup points at all times.
- These can be restored in a few seconds and without any support.
- We make a fully automatic backup of your WordPress projects every night. Depending on plan , these are stored for between seven and 30 days - manual backups are also permanent.
- You want to save a version locally? Download each backup free of charge if required.
- You want to start another, similar WordPress project? Just clone a new BOX from a backup or use your saved templates. Then you don't have to start all over again.
In addition, backup Plugins for WordPress occupies additional storage space on your web space. With us, your backups are stored on our own server in Frankfurt and not on your WordPress installation. If your WordPress login is no longer possible, you can restore your website with one click, without having to search for the backup.
Specialization in WordPress
Through our own agency experience, we know which features you need as a WordPress professional to lead your projects to success. Our team lives WordPress 100 percent. This knowledge flows continuously into our product development. And because we don't have rigid hierarchies or long communication channels at RAIDBOXES , our product development is particularly flexible and agile.
This specialisation in managed WordPress hosting is very important if your websites run with the leading content management system. This allows us to react immediately to external influencing factors, such as extensions to the WordPress core. Through our connection with the community, we also know earlier than others where WordPress is heading.
"Real" WordPress Support
In concrete terms, this means that you do not have to explain the peculiarities and technical terms of WordPress and WooCommerce to our supporters when you need their help. Experience has shown that this can happen with other service providers who are not specialised in WordPress . Test our support: How fast can they make your website? Or how can they help you with migration from WordPress ?
Our team comes from the WordPress community itself, so the answers to your questions are targeted and practical. We don't have a call centre or queues, but only personal and individual advice from WordPress experts. In addition, we have a dashboard with functions that have been specially developed for WordPress and WooCommerce instead of having to "bend" them for several systems. This is what our customers say about it:
In RAIDBOXES, we've finally found a WordPress host that can entirely meet the demands of our multiple and often changing websites.Robbie Bouschery from the startup event PIRATE Summit.
RAIDBOXES delivers exactly the things that WordPress agencies have been wanting for years.Christos Papadopoulos of the AWEOS agency
We are not only available to you with well-founded WordPress support site . Numerous instructions and best-practice examples ensure that you can read our knowledge at any time. RAIDBOXES explains WordPress in an understandable way - for professionals and beginners alike. Use our WordPress magazine wp unboxedour help centre, our e-books or our newsletter.
Green Managed WordPress Hosting
This factor has only indirectly to do with managed WordPress hosting. And yet it is important that you address the question: What impact do your websites have on the global climate? We don't usually consciously associate the Internet and web hosting with climate change. And yet, the effects are astounding:
- If the internet were a country, it would have the sixth largest electricity consumption on the planet.
- By 2030, the share of the grid in global energy consumption is expected to rise to over 20 percent.
- When you run a website or an online shop, you consume a lot of resources.
- Currently, about 43 per cent of all websites worldwide are operated with WordPress . In concrete terms, this means that how well WordPress performs is one of the factors that will determine the future of our planet.
Simon Kraft deals intensively with the combination of WordPress development and sustainability in his blog. He also speaks regularly on the topic at WordCamps and WP MeetUps. What does WordPress have to do with the climate? Simon lists concrete measures:
- Remove unnecessary ballast from your websites. Especially those areas that send a lot of data through the network. For example, maps from Google Maps or social media integrations that connect to the networks with every page view.
- Are image galleries and oversized post images really necessary? Or extensive animated .gifs? Simple still images explain a topic professionally just as well, while minimizing load time.
- Clean out your Plugins . This not only makes WordPress more secure, it also increases speed in many cases. Ideally, many functions are pre-installed on the server side in your managed WordPress hosting.
- You develop WordPress Plugins and Themes? Then simplify the code, update old code libraries or remove them. Every byte that is not transferred saves resources.
On websitecarbon.com you can roughly estimate the CO2 emissions of your websites:
Especially developers for WordPress can have a much greater impact here than they realise. This is because their source code is used on a large number of websites. The total traffic that results from an ill-conceived development is thus multiplied!
As an agency or owner:in the website, you can also make sure to use as few and particularly lean Plugins and Themes as possible. This makes your websites faster - and supports the climate. A particularly drastic example: Danny van Kooten develops the popular Plugin Mailchimp for WordPress , which has over one million active installations. By streamlining the programming of this Plugins alone, he saves 59,000 kg of CO2 - per month! How did he manage that? Read our interview with Danny.
Additionally, opt for a green hosting plan. But be careful: What is declared as sustainable is not always "sustainable". Pay attention to a transparent presentation. At RAIDBOXES , welist in detail how we contribute to climate protection:
- Reforestation through Eden Reforestation Projects: For every WordPress website or WooCommerce shop you host with us, we plant a tree for you. We work together with Eden to do this. The non-profit organisation works in regions that are particularly suffering from climate change and global deforestation. In the first quarter of 2020 alone, we were able to donate 25,500 trees - as CO2 compensation for your hosting.
- Climate-positive project work: In addition to reforestation, we support the Greenspark initiative. It invests in climate-positive projects that are selected according to strict criteria. Through this partnership alone, RAIDBOXES currently offsets an additional 40.48 tonnes of CO2 every month, which means the equivalent of more than 160,000 car kilometres driven.
- Green electricity from hydropower: RAIDBOXES uses 100 percent electricity from hydropower. We are aware that not all green electricity is the same, which is why we pay attention to effective framework conditions with our partners.
- Sustainable business: In addition to balancing green hosting, we are committed to a corporate philosophy that focuses on sustainability in all areas. Read more about how our employees contribute to mindful cooperation here.
We continue to work on fulfilling our social responsibility. And we hope that the models mentioned above will find numerous imitators. We have one big goal: to establish the greenest WordPress hosting on the entire market. You can help us achieve this.
Central management of all your WordPress projects
By developing or managing several WordPress websites at the same time, you can scale your business model upwards. However, this should not lead to an increase in your administrative tasks to the same extent. See our article 5 to 100+ WordPress Managing projects efficiently.
A central dashboard for managed WordPress hosting - like the one from RAIDBOXES - gives you more freedom here. No matter whether you work in an agency or independently. And regardless of whether your concept includes corporate websites, content portals, blogs or shops. The concrete advantages of a consolidated interface include:
- Faster work: You and your team don't have to learn different dashboards from each web host.
- Template management: Existing projects can be cloned or reused in parts.
- Website status: You have a quick overview of all your projects at any time. Including status, workload, changes made, pending updates or permissions.
- Integrated solutions: Functions like caching, backups, Staging, SSL certificates or domain management are already integrated without the need for additional Plugins . This reduces the maintenance effort.
- Rights model: You work in a team, together with other freelancers? Then you should be able to add more admins for individual projects at any time.
- Accounting: You only receive one invoice from one service provider and do not have to deal with provider changes and complicated contract transfers on a regular basis.
You use our FREE DEV programme? Then even your commissions - which you receive when you hand them over to your customers or when you recommend RAIDBOXES - can be managed in a single place. Including statistics on how successful your recommendations and the advertising media used are.
You need WordPress multilingual, for your own project or for your customers? Your hosting should be optimised for this, so that multilingualism is not slowed down due to a lack of performance or functions.
There are different variants of the implementation. In the form of a path within the URL (example.de/en), as a subdomain (en.example.de) or as a multidomain. In this case, each language receives its own domain. From a search engine optimization (SEO) perspective, the latter is usually the best option for multilingualism with WordPress and WooCommerce. RAIDBOXES supports the setup of WPML Multidomain with its own features.
When converting to WPML Multidomain, experience shows that the correct redirects are neglected, although they are essential for your SEO. How else are search engines supposed to know where the new content can be found? All backlinks that your website has built up naturally beforehand will otherwise point to nowhere and lose their value. RAIDBOXES offers the possibility to create your own redirects in the dashboard of your BOX , i.e. without any additional Plugin.
Setting up WPML Multidomain is not that easy. Here, too, the optimised options in our dashboard will support you, see our instructions on this. The multidomain feature also works optionally with Polylang, but only if you have activated the WPML compatibility mode in Polylang. Do you have questions about this? Or about setting up WPML Multidomain in general? Our support team will be happy to help you.
Migration to Managed WordPress Hosting
You want to switch to our managed WordPress hosting with one website or all your projects? Or with your WooCommerce shop? It's easy: we move your site for you and take care of everything in the background.
This happens within two working days, with our relocation service. Your migration to us is 100% free of charge and without obligation, migrate your website from your currenthost to us. Whether you want to move one or 100 WordPress websites to us, we offer you the appropriate managed hosting infrastructure.
Your website remains accessible
Your old site remains completely accessible during the migration, only a copy of your active will be installed. WordPress site will be installed. Only when you are satisfied with us do you need to select a plan , activate it and link a domain - done.
Handover to your customers
Have you developed your project with us for free? Then allow your customers to access sites with one click to test and accept it. But what happens afterwards? Save yourself the hassle of administration, cancellations, cumbersome contract transfers or even switching to a new server or web hoster. At RAIDBOXES you can transfer a website to other RAIDBOXES users at any time, also with a simple mouse click.
The transfer is straightforward:
- The new owners receive an email with a confirmation link. This enables the respective person to complete the change of ownership.
- If the target person does not yet have a RAIDBOXES account, a new account is created in the course of the change of ownership.
- However, if they already have a RAIDBOXES account, you only need to enter the e-mail address with which they are registered in our system.
After each change of ownership, you automatically remain the admin of site as long as your customers wish. You still have access to the hosting settings of BOX.
Commissions for agencies, developers and web designers
Tip: Are you a FREE DEV partner? Then the change of ownership is automatically tracked as commission-relevant. We pay you up to 1,500 euros commission for all new customers. The more projects you recommend, the higher your commission.
Standard hosters are very cheap. But as soon as a problem arises - and this can quickly be the case with the hosting of WordPress - you are on your own. If you value performance and support, then you should definitely opt for a managed hosting service optimised for WordPress . WP professionals and agencies in particular save a lot of time and money with the included tools.
Maybe you want to give something back and contribute to society at the same time? RAIDBOXES provides not only climate-neutral, but even climate-positive hosting. Running a website or an online shop consumes a lot of resources. We want to counteract this. Read our article on the opportunities and limitations of ecological web hosting offers. Do you work in an agency, are you a developer, WP expert, web designer or do you blog professionally? Then you can do good and generate additional income at the same time.
You still have questions about the functions and performance that a good web hosting should contain? Or are you unsure whether all this will work for your WordPress project? Contact us and test RAIDBOXES without any obligation. Based on your website, we will find out whether and which managed WordPress hosting is right for you. And how much faster we can make your project.
You want to pass on the knowledge from this article? Or would you like to have an overview of all the benefits, for example for your customers? You can also download our 13 benefits as an e-book here.
Contributing photo: Mateusz Dach